The Stapleton family settled in Sutherland in 1880. Charles Harvey Stapleton 1st. became the first butcher in the Sutherland district, with slaughter yards in President Av. between Gymea and Miranda . While the Illawarra railway was being constructed, from 1884 to 1886, Charles would visit the railway workers camp in his horse and cart to sell them meat. He also supplied meat to soldiers being trained at Artillery Hill, Now the Royal National Park. The first butcher shop was opened in Sutherland in 1896 followed by shops at Waterfall and Hurstville, for his sons to manage. During the depression, when many people were out of work, the Stapleton brothers made sure that nobody was turned away without meat for their families.
After the war, the brothers wrote off two ledgers of unpaid debts. In1954 the old shop site was sold to Woolworths, and a new Butcher shop was built next door, with office suites upstairs. This shop was considered the most modern of it’s kind and was open for inspection through the Master Butchers Association for Butchers throughout the State to view the innovative shop design. In 1964, Jack Stapleton (son of Charles Harvey Stapleton 2nd.) and his two sons, Ron and Denis, opened their own shop in Carlton, and supplied meat to Sutherland Hospital, the Kurnel Oil Refinery as well as the public.
In 1972, Jack and his sons purchased the Sutherland shop from the rest of the family and over the next 4 years extensively modernised the shop and opened a restaurant above where the office suites used to be. In 1977, with son Denis running the Butcher Shop and Ron, the Restaurant (“Stapleton’s Steakout”), Jack retired from the business and moved with wife “Tup” to the Central Coast. In 1979, the brothers purchased a half share in the Burraneer Bay Marina that Ron managed until it was sold around 1994. Ron then returned to the Meat Industry to give Denis a badly needed holiday and over the next few years the brothers acquired shops at Engadine, Sylvania Waters, Bangor, Caringbah and lastly Gymea.
Due to a constant shortage of skilled tradesmen and a lack of apprentices coming through the system the company had little option but to sell the Sylvania Waters and Engadine shops in order to maintain the high level of customer service the Stapleton’s demand. In recent years, the Sutherland Shop was sold and Denis retired, leaving the Gymea shop as the only original family owned and operated butcher shop. To this day we are still proud of our history of over 110 years of serving the Sutherland Shire.